Well it was a bit longer than planned (4 months) but here’s what I’ve been up to for the past few months, writing, reading, and with work.
July’s momentum waned as my work life became unmanageable for writing too. Then we went on a 3 week vacation to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. It was amazing and I managed a little writing on holiday. We came back to work in full swing and I started my writing again, trying but not quite making it to writing every day.
But, I finished my second draft for Arch Villains November 5th. The first second draft that I’ve done (3 first drafts for various trunk stories). I’m going to wait and reread it over the holidays, fix what I think is missing and then I’m going to find some kind beta readers to look for issues.
I started and stopped with November Poem A Day challenge. Work again got in the way. I’m promising myself more poetry, because it’s my natural writing voice for capturing a moment.
In October, with the demise of Sears I wrote one of the most well received posts on my blog: the Aftershocks of Grief. Sometimes I’m amazed that something I wrote to help me process my own feelings touches other people. So thanks for reading.
The biggest things I’ve noticed in picking up my WIP and setting it down, is that I miss it when I’m not writing. I’m noticeably happier when I’ve creating something, whether I’m just rereading what I wrote or putting a something up on the blog for people to read.
- WIP: 38, 673 words – Arch Villains completed.
- Blog Poems: 4 – I really need to increase my poems
- Blog (general posts): 2 (including this month’s summary)
- Total writing: 40, 359 words in 4 months.
In 4 months, even with vacation and deadlines I still managed to write.
What’s up next? Edits to Arch Villains, followed either by a possible sequel or another attempt at a novel I’ve affectionately nicknamed Malice. Malice has been a struggle because I’ve had a hard time finding my MC’s voice. But I’ve been inspired lately to look at her in a new light and I might go through a bigger outline.
Sadly, I have not read much, even on vacation.
I like the world building of Angels Blood by Nalini Singh.
I’m beta reading for a friend’s secret project.
I have a list of 5 fiction books that I have to read in my TBR pile, and several in my wittier development pile.
Work is still keeping me on my toes.
- 3 projects in deficiencies, all at the same state.
- 1 project about to enter contract administration
- 5 project specifications in 2 weeks.
- 1 very detailed standard update.
- Next week: IIDEX and Construct Canada courses
I don’t go into the details of these projects, for privacy reasons but if there are published articles then I’ll share.
With the holiday season fast approaching I’m trying to be realistic about what I can accomplish.
- Reread and edit Arch Villains for beta readers. Presently at 94,000 words.
- Continue to write 1 poem per week from the Poetic Asides prompts.
- Read Self-Editing for fiction writers.
- Brainstorm Arch Villains sequel or The Colour of Malice, which would be my third attempt.
- See if I end up with any other personal essays.
What’s on your plate for the month of November?